October 12, 2009

An Odd Kind of Thankful

I realized this weekend that there are things I'm thankful for that don't typically seem like things you'd be thankful for.

1) The warranty on my Suzuki is up. Done. Finito. Normally a crummy thing. But I? Am thankful. Because now I can get the kind of car starter I want without voiding the warranty that's left or being forced to get the factory one.
2) We found a leak from one of the toilets in the basement of the new house. Anyone who knows Pat knows that no one within a five mile radius of him when this was discovered would be thankful. But I? Am thankful that we found it now, before we have moved all our stuff in with a basement full of boxes and a restriction on which toilet you can flush.

3) I only packed 12 boxes when there are probably 50 still to go. A daunting task with less than two weeks to the big day. But I? Am thankful that I got those 12 boxes done considering I had a bored 6 year old vying for my attention the whole time.

4) My sister lives two provinces away and it seems like just when we are getting closest, life gets its busiest and two provinces seem like two continents with an ocean in the middle. But I? Am thankful because she was here this weekend and I saw her three of the four days she was here and my girl and my nephew play together like they've been neighbours their whole lives.

5) Winter is coming. Its getting colder. People are hunkering down and staying inside and acting depressed and as moody as the weather. But I? Am thankful for warm fleeces, cozy mittens, soft falling snow, snowball fights with my baby and letting the idea that "yes, we can go play outside" sink in to that spot, you know the one, that spot that's been itching to go outside and play since last fall.

Yeah. Lots of odd things go on in this crazy world. But I? Am thankful. Are you?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so, so luck you don't have Seasonal Affective Disorder, believe me!

RnnrGrrl said...

Awww... O had such a good time! Me too. Can't wait to see all your stuff in the ready-to-be-packed boxes, unpacked and in their rightful places.

Leslie said...

I love the way you think!