October 21, 2009

And Your Name Was? Subtlety? Oh, Nice to Meet You

Once upon a time there was this thing called subtlety. We did not generally get along too well as I did not see the point in it. I was always of the impression that if you wanted/meant/needed/disliked/etc something, just bloody well say so. I have always understood subtlety and have realized its place in the world but often viewed it as being somewhat manipulative, a suggestive way of just saying what you really mean.

But I get its charm. Its almost like subliminal messaging. Like you just kinda sorta put the thought in someones head, just gently enough for it to stay there but not so gentle that they forget you ever said anything. Take today for example.

Me: Hey, where you going?
Jan: Just popping to the store.
Me: What kind of store?
Jan: Somewhere like Moores. Emergency tie requirement.
Me: Oh. I thought maybe you were getting something to eat.
Jan: Nope.
Me: Oh. Well if you happen to go to a store that sells milkshakes, I'll take one!

Cut to 20 minutes later. Large chocolate shake appears on my desk. Score. So I ask the question. Was that subtlety? Or outright asking? I didn't ask him to get me one, to go out of his way. I merely suggested that if he should HAPPEN to pass by a milkshake making facility, I would not be opposed if he purchased one for me.

I dunno. Maybe that's a brutally honest persons version of subtlety. Maybe that's as subtle as I am capable of getting. Maybe its just not in me to be subtle. But whatever it was, it got me a milkshake.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

1st Paragraph = New Yorker's view of the world.

2nd Paragraph = (Los) Angelino's view of the world.

As for your milkshake, I would say it was definitely more of a subliminal message. ;)

(And if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw, my straw reaches across the room and I drink your milkshake... oh, never mind. :D )