October 31, 2009

Now Is NOT The Time

So I read a little note on Twitter today, written by a local Twtter-er about the line-ups at Superstore and the duration he spent standing in said line-ups at Superstore. My thoughts? Surely he wasn't at the one I was headed to.

Fast forward thirty minutes and we were elbow to elbow with a good one third of the Winnipeg population with a promise to and from Mck that we were going to practice our patience and get to the back of the line. While in the line, people shoved, people cut, people complained about people shoving and cutting. And we were patient, just like we promised. But everyone has their breaking point.

Approximately four people ahead of me, getting their groceries put through, was an older couple, possibly late fifties, early sixties. All but one item was checked through and then suddenly, we were at a stand still. What's thehold up? Surely you can see the 800 people behind you patiently losing their patience. Surely you're aware of the line ups because up until two minutes ago you were PART of that line up.

The cashier explained the price discrepancy. We all got it. Its that price if you buy in groups of 2. Anything less and it was full price. Classic Superstore. No she says. Its the lower price regardless. Oh dear. Really? Really, you think NOW is the time to bicker over three bucks? Apparently yes. She would not accept his obviously cockamaimy theory on price and demanded a price check. Oh, you heard me. A price check. In the middle of the mayhem. The cashier got on his phone to place the price check. Or so we all thought. But in reality? He just called the fat sloth he was hoping would come see him to DO the price check. So we waited. The two people behind me had snide running commentary the whole time. And finally, the fat sloth sauntered over to see what needed price checking. Oh. Tin foil. A roll of tin foil. A single fucking roll of tin foil. Like the lady behind me said, it better be a pretty life or death situation, this need for tin foil at a reduced price.

So off our friendly neighbourhood price checker goes, as fast as his fat little legs will carry him. And we wait some more. The couple dares not make eye contact with anyone in line. Because if looks could kill? Well. We'd need two hearses and no price checkers.

Finally the cashier's phone rings. He relays the message to the couple. The same message he told them ten minutes ago. The same message that means their precious tin foil will be 4 dollars instead of one. They hem. They haw. And finally I can't take it anymore and I yell out, "I will pay for your tinfoil!". The man in front of me laughs. The people behind me go quiet. The couple quickly tell the cashier they don't want it and pay for their crap and get lost. They didn't take the tin foil. After ALL that, they don't even want their stupid tin foil. I almost bought it when it was my turn to pay. I almost coughed up the four freaking bucks for it. And you know what I would have done with it? I would have found those people in the parking lot, walked right up to where I am sure they were meticulously packing their groceries away in their car and I would have opened that container of tin foil and unraveled every last inch of it while she stared in horror. I might have even torn it into unusable sized pieces, just for fun. Spending four bucks on something I don't need and won't use would probably never have felt better.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Canadians? Cutting in line? What's happening to the lovely people of the Great White North? (Just A Girl would be shocked!)

Me? I would'a bought the roll. And wrapped their entire car in it.