October 7, 2009

Falling Into Autumn

Its crisp out these days. Its that time of year where most people get a little mellower, sink a little deeper into themselves, ache to be just a little bit warmer. I hear grumbling wherever I am. Moaning about the chill, groaning about the damp. We have more grey sky than blue right now and the brilliant sun, when out, is already setting by the time I head home from work. But I think, in my animal life, I am a polar bear because none of this seems to bother me.

I won't deny that I enjoy warm weather. I like sitting in the sun sipping a cool beverage. I am not opposed to moderately warm temperatures. But I don't like hot. I like cool. I like layers. I like scarves and mitts and fabulous knit toques. I like that both McK and I are hat people and can rock a fabulous knit toque. I like fleeces in jacket or blanket form. I like down anything but most especially booties. I like 4 season tents and sleeping bags rated to minus 30 degrees celcius. I like comfortable boots that don't dig in where strappy sandals used to.

I like a hot cup of coffee on a cool morning where both my breath and my mug are steamy. I like hearing the crunch underfoot as I wander. I like watching the leaves fall down like rain. I like seeing what's around the bend in the trail just by looking through the bare branches. I like a fire to warm chilled hands and bring color and life to a darkened morning. I like watching puddles freeze over and lakes follow suit.

I like the mist that falls before the snow. I like the wind that makes the leaves dance as they drop. I like the feeling of the weather on my skin once I've come inside from a long walk. I like that the trails are free of bugs and other people. I like that it feels like the woods are my playground and Mother Nature is my babysitter and the rest of the world went out for the evening and left us to fend for ourselves.

And while most people begin to consider their hibernation plans at this time of year, I, like my polar bear kin, am just getting ready to wake up. Yes, its crisp out these days.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the fall, but I'm not as keen on winter. Maybe it's because my bed is so darn cold in the morning.

But if you were a bear, wouldn't you be getting ready to hibernate right about now? ;)

cmacc said...

Not a polar bear silly. And um....how can you complain about a cold winter when you live in LOS ANGELES!!!

Anonymous said...

How can I complain? Most days, I can't. BUT... I live in an older place, built just after WW2. Lathe-and-plaster. NO insulation. So in the winter, the temperature inside the house is only about 10 degrees warmer. So when the temperature outside drops into the 40's, it's only in the 50's inside. And if the temperature drops into the 30's, as it does sometimes...

Not exactly a comfortable 70 degree living room to relax and enjoy the evening, ya know? I'd be fine with winter, if I could keep it outside...