September 3, 2009

Lullaby

When McK was little I don't think I ever sang her to sleep. We never really did the whole lullaby thing. Admittedly she was a good sleeper and we didn't really need to. So its pretty cool that she loves music as much as she does. Today on the way home she made up her own lyrics to every song we listened to.

On my latest CD I have a few jazz songs that I quite love. When Baby Its Cold Outside came on with Ella Fitzgerald, I told her we could each learn a part and sing it together. She loved the idea. The song has been in my head all day.

Tonight, when I put her to bed, I knew she was super tired. I started to hum the song and she told me to sing it. Huh? Ok. So I sang what I could remember. Then I sang Someone to Watch Over Me. Then she wanted a kids song so I sang her one of my old faves, Baby Beluga. She just kept asking for more so I finally had to have her tell me what she wanted to hear.

"The only place I wanna be is lost with you". Really? Yes. Really. Early on Tuesday by Jesse Cook. So I sang it. I heard her start to hum along. Again, she said. So I sang it again. I had to listen real close but when I did, I heard her singing along with me.

I may never have sung TO her when she was little. But there was something even more satisfying about singing WITH her that more than made up for it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And where's the MP3 for all of us to listen to? :)