September 16, 2009

Missing

We are two weeks away from moving in to our new house. This is exciting on a bunch of levels. I will have my own bathroom (especially important in the mornings). I will have a closet with room to spare (until I fill it up). I will have a garage in which to park my car right beside the door, the door where I can bring ALL my groceries in in as many short and sweet little trips as I like. I will have a quiet deck with a quiet view and a quiet balcony on which to quietly read my books. All of my things will be where I am; my bike, my backpacking gear, my knick knacks, my books, my photos. All unpacked and with me. But while there is much to look forward to I recognize that there are things I will miss about this place, this sweet little apartment that has served us so well.

Hmmm. K. It'll come to me. Just let me think on it for a second.

Oh! I'll miss the heated underground parking that allowed me to not even put a jacket on in the winter until I got to work. And I'll miss the free swimming. And the proximity of the IGA and the Hallmark store. I will even miss all the old people who adore mck so much and just want someone to talk to.

So while I'm drinking my coffee in my rocking chair on my front porch watching my baby girl play with her new pal across the street, I'll think of this place with fondness and good memories. I'll probably block out the part where the overhead door crashed down on the brand new Jeep. Whatever. It was just the one time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Our new house." Do you know how incredibly lucky you are, and how jealous I am, that you get to say those three little words?

Mck? Popular with the old folks? Why am I not surprised? :)