August 7, 2009

Which Way to the Water

Today on my way home I took the Perimeter Hwy. Its a well traveled, fast moving ring road and is a convenient way to get from one side of the city to the other without having to deal with the stop-and-go of city traffic. As I approached one of the intersections that actually have light standards, I caught a glimpse of color out the corner of my eye. I watched and smiled.

He crossed the highway with purpose, like it was perfectly natural for him to be there, kayak perched upon his head. A bright swatch of blue and yellow on a gray day against a backdrop of gray cement. His face was hidden by his vessel but I imagine he was smiling, perhaps chuckling to himself at what all of these people imprisoned in their vehicles must think of this strange character walking across a major highway at 5 in the afternoon.

My first thought? Was where are you going dude? There was no body of water in the direction he was going, other than a long trek to our floodway. My second thought? Nice. Freakin. Kayak. Third thought? Perhaps he has finished his paddle in the river that the Perimeter crosses and then courts for awhile. That would make more sense. He was on his way home.
Imagine. Friday afternoon. A paddle just minutes outside your door. And all you have to do is hoist it up, and go.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heh. I'll bet he wasn't smiling and was thinking "geez, I should'a taken the car! This thing is getting heavy!" LOL

I could probably do something similar, if I weren't kinda terrified by the idea of ocean kayaking...