August 10, 2009

Things I Thought of Today From Whence I Was a Wee Lass AKA The Randomness of My Head

* I used to love going to my nan and pipe's for the candy and the air hockey table in the basement
* often times they had little lemon drops and were in a green tin and coated with powdered sugar
* they always had cookies. Always
* my first bike was second hand and spray painted a sparkly purple
* I never had training wheels
* I always wanted a banana seat but never had one
* I raced kids in our neighbourhood and hated that I had to use my sisters big bike until I realized bigger tires cover more ground with less effort
* we had a rake for our carpet
* my grandad made me a dollhouse with working lights and furniture like a lamp made out of a large wooden bead and a toothpaste cap for the shade
* I gave it to kids I nannied for but wish now that I hadn't
* we actually sang Christmas Carols around the piano. Once. That I can remember
* my signature photo pose was lips in a puckered O and eyes crossed but looking upwards
* my pretend name was always Cindy. My brother was Rick Hansen before we ever knew there was a Rick Hansen
* Amelia Bedilia rocked my world
* my first "crush" poster was John Schneider from the Dukes of Hazzard
* I swore I heard reindeer hoofs on Christmas Eve once but was old enough to know there was no Santa so didn't tell anyone
* I played dentist with my dad once and covered a Q tip in aluminum foil to make it a realistic dentist picker and proceeded to inspect his teeth. Aluminum foil and silver fillings to not go together apparently
* I came home one evening when I was older and went to say goodnight to my mom and she had a huge knife in bed with her cuz she thought she heard something
* the second floor of our second home had a stucco-like finish on the hallway walls
* when I fought my brother I would take his hand and scrape it along this
* my dad kept work files in my big closet and I read the court transcripts of murder suspects
* librarians knew all three of us by name
* we played yahtzee and ate chocolate covered graham cookies at Johnsons Cabins in Riding Mountain
* my brother became famous for smelling his food before he ate it
* once he smelled a banana cream pie and my uncle shoved his face in it
* we were camping and my mom was pissed
* I was taught by nuns for years
* in grade 6 I had a teacher who ended up being gay
* he was fired because of it
* I asked him to be my confirmation sponsor and loved that he said yes
* I saw him when I was older and working in a pharmacy
* I only knew it was him because he paid by cheque
* he died of aids that year and I tried to speak at his funeral but couldn't and someone else had to speak for me
* I wish I had the gift he gave me but I don't
* once I kicked a boy in the gnads and he spit on me. I think he was more shocked that I spit right back on him
* my first real boy crush was in grade 4 and his name was Tyler
* I don't remember my first day of kindergarden
* we had a squirrel in our house and my dad and brother put on rubber boots, caught it in a garbage bag and killed it with a two by four while my sister screamed at them
* I just watched
* I once drank milk and cream soda because we had no strawberry milk powder. I think it turned out ok
* we danced on my brothers bed to the very first mini pops record
* there is a smell that reminds me of a sleepover with my cousin where we ate tons of candy and rented the Wham! video
* I automatically think of that when I smell it. Its indescribable, I just know it when I smell it
* I was late for my ridiculously early curfew once by two minutes and you better believe my dad was sitting in the kitchen waiting for me, like out of a movie
* it didn't happen again
* we used to walk for probably over a km to get the regular transit bus to school, right since kindergarden
* my mom sewed little pouches into our uniforms to keep our bus tickets safe
* it was a fifteen cent ride
* there were two girls down the street, twins, leslie and laurie and they were plymouth brethren
* we never ever played in each others houses, always outside
* I told my parents I was going to see the movie "Baby" about the little dinosaur but I really went to see Girls Just Wanna Have Fun with Sarah Jessica Parker
* they wouldn't have let me seen it unchaperoned
* I got busted cuz we needed a ride home and weren't at the theatre we said we would be
* and we had boys with us
* if I ever wanted to ask my moms permission for something that would likely be a "no", I would ask her when she was napping or just waking up. It almost always worked
* my parents and grandparents used to smoke so much at christmas dinner my eyes would sting from it
* I never had a teddy that I was 100 % loyal to
* I still love change and new things
* I hope mck makes a list like this in 30 years
* and I hope she smiles when she writes it

5 comments:

RnnrGrrl said...

OMG! you made me laugh!!! Ahhh the memories. Chris M assisted with the squirrel death; Carolyn F spoke at the funeral; Uncle Joe played the flute and I played the piano that Christmas; you hit your head on the edge of a chest of drawers when you fell off the bed dancing to the minipops and blood gushed everywhere; I envied your John Schnieder poster (and was very happy to see him on Nip/Tuck); you and leslie and laurie played hairdresser a lot because they had long hair; and it was my job to make sure we all made it to the bus stop on time. I was in Grade 3. You and J went slow on purpose.

Anonymous said...

So... gonna share with us a photo of your signature photo pose? Better still, one from back then and one from today? :)

Loved this post, btw. Wish I could write something this interesting!

Patrick said...

You are too funny! I love reading your stuff! Will you write me a book....just for me? Love you!
Patrick

Unknown said...

Wonderful blogging - and you really should write a book! We found this blog post via the 'Plymouth Brethren' phrase. We're guessing that this is probably the Exclusive Brethren branch because of the hair and we're also guessing that we know Leslie and Laurie. If you've lost contact and/or would like to make contact again, contact us at info@peebs.net

Meanwhile - don't stop blogging! :-)

cmacc said...

Thanks for the updated info Ash, I had no idea I bashed myself so bad. I do remember toboganning and splitting my chin open though, forgot to add that one.

GH - I will look for one of the famous portraits. Though I don't think I'll recreate it for comparison though! You should think back and write a post like this too, anyone can do it, its just memories. I will check your site for it!