August 18, 2009

Roll With It

As my blog subtitle implies, I am quite good at "just rolling with it", whether it be changes in relationships, at work, at home, where we live. I adapt well and quickly to pretty much any given situation.

This skill came in handy at work today. While a portion of our business was being split and restructured, I worried about the possibility of losing my boss to a new position or one of my reps to something new. I never once considered that I would be the one getting a new position.

It came as a shock. After the initial relief of finding out that my boss was staying in his role, I suppose it actually came as more than a shock. I would be supporting a totally different group of people. I lost my crew. In the matter of a second. Gone.

I looked far and wide for my ability to "roll with it" this morning. I couldn't find it anywhere.

I found it this afternoon, after numerous hilarious calls from my boss and pep talks, hugs and supportive shoulders from friends. I talked to a woman who supported the very same crew back when our company structure was much the same years ago. She told me I'd love them. And I believed her.

As much as I will miss the ease I had with my boss and the comfort level we shared, in time, if I roll with it just right, I'll have that again with my new crew. God willing.

3 comments:

Patrick said...

Go get'em turkey!

Anonymous said...

Philosophical question: would "your" ability to roll with things be as strong if there was no "we"? Could you roll with things as easily if you didn't have the husband, MCK, or the "hugs and supportive shoulders of friends."?

Like I said, just posing a philosophical curiosity...

cmacc said...

Yeah. I've always just been this way. Its part of "me", not "we". I have just always been easy going and figured out ways to deal with stuff. I don't let much get to me. I don't let much bother me or get me worried.