August 6, 2009

Save The Page

I have always loved reading. Since I can remember, I would spend countless hours in libraries. I would borrow armfuls of books with the grandios idea that I could actually read them all before they were due and sometimes even manage to do it. I would find a book with such gorgeous photos that I would just sit down on the floor, right in the aisle, right where I was, and pore over it, as if looking at them long enough and hard enough would somehow transport me there.

But the best reading accessory? The bookmark. I love bookmarks. I had them right from when I was little. As I got older I would be satisfied with the freebies from the local bookstore or a piece of tissue. But the other day I saw 4 and loved them. I loved them for their texture and their color and the sayings and images on them. They were thin little slivers of art and I wanted them all. But even on sale I knew I needed to narrow them down. So I studied them. I read and re-read the sayings. I put them down one by one as I wandered through the store. And I ended up with just one.

I hate putting my books down opened to a page. It makes a crease in the spine that oftentimes is permanent. I hate folding over corners of the page because then it feels like the book never closes peoperly. It is akin to having pages that have gotten wet. So a bookmark is my choice. My one, well thought out, tough decision to make, had to be the perfect material and perfect saying choice.

"Live in the sunshine, swim in the sea, drink the wild air." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 comments:

Princess of the Universe said...

As far as I'm concerned, laving a book open face down, or folding pages over should be a punishable offence. At the very least the book police should fine you. Bookmarks. Always.

cmacc said...

I concur. Obviously. :)

RnnrGrrl said...

But what about the books you find at the St. Vital BookSale or in that special used book store that are all creased and bent back, have handwritten notes in the margins and were obviously loved very much?

That being said, I still use the same bookmark that I was given for my Grade 8 graduation from two kids I used to babysit. I'm using it in the book I'm reading right now.

cmacc said...

If they COME that way, then its ok. I just don't like doing it to mine.

Anonymous said...

Fave bookmark is from when I was a kid: a real-leather bookmark from Burney Falls State Park here in CA, with deer on top and "Books are silent friends" written underneath. Currently holding place in my Calvin & Hobbes collection. :)