November 24, 2009

Hey, I Know You

Do you ever have that moment of brief recognition? That snap second where you're pretty sure you know that person from somewhere and you actually remember where that somewhere is. Perhaps the name is familiar. Perhaps the face is familiar. Even the voice sometimes. But in that moment, you realize, ahhhhh THAT'S where I know you from.

And then there are the times you recognize a person but want to keep that recognition to yourself. That's the nice thing about a married name. They won't know who I am unless I tell them.

I met someone recently at a committee meeting. Her face was not familiar and it wasn't until our contact list circulated that I recognized the name. It was someone from elementary school, in my brothers grade, someone he never really hung out with. At all. And so I am stuck. Do I ask if she is THAT person? Do I risk the unecessary small talk? Will she grill me about family members? Is it worth the hassle? Or do I just carry on, not totally sure and not totally caring either way.

She's not seemingly someone I plan to get to know better, or add to Facebook, or put in touch with my brother. It would just give us that connection, that THING that makes the meetings a little less awkward and a little more cohesive. Or do I let the fact that we both love the thing we volunteer for so much be our common bond? I dunno.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now, I could be wrong about this, but you strike me as someone who would go out of your way to avoid any and all unnecessary small talk...