February 15, 2010

A Walk in the Woods

Yesterday we went to the Whiteshell. It felt like we hadn't been there forever. And yet, once we started walking, I remembered every turn, every sight, every part of the trail that let me know how far there was to go or how far we had already gone.

I could hear the wind. I heard it in the treetops dancing, whispering secrets, telling tales. "Just look at these three", it must have said up there, "Walking in the woods on a winters day. Searching for that spot where they won't feel us. No wind, only sun."

We found it. That spot with no wind, only sun. On a cold, cold winters day. In the middle of the woods. By a rushing river. Its always out there. Sometimes you just need to take a walk in the woods on a winters day to find it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know that feeling. Shame I haven't had a chance to get up to the snow in the mountains (and we have a lot of it this year) to do it yet!

cmacc said...

What are you waiting for? Slacker.

:)