February 11, 2010

Oh Canada

The olympics start tomorrow. I've never been overly overwhelmed by the olympics. I would watch this and that, nothing religiously, everything halfheartedly. But this year? I gotta say. They planned their media spot on.

I love the commercials. I love that its Donald Sutherland narrating. I love that he appears in the last commercial. I will always remember the ad for the speed skater who, two olympics ago still skated even though his sister had just died and he wiped out on the track and just sat there with his head in his hands and the next olympicshe was back skating for his daughter who was named after his sister.

I love the ads that talk about winning on home soil. The ad with the downhill skiier. The ad with the brother speed skaters. I love the ad with Ryan Reynolds and Steve Nash and Michael J Fox that make British Columbia look like one of the most beautiful places on the planet.

I haven't even gotten sick of the slogan. Who ever came up with that earned their paycheque. So this year I will watch a little more closely, follow along a little more intently, and not waffle and secretly cheer for the US. I am rooting for them, for our athletes. And thanks to these well timed and well made commercials, I actually know who some of them are.

Do you believe??

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"looks like"? You mean BC isn't one of the most beautiful places on the planet?

I've never been much of a sports fan, per say, but somehow I always seem to get sucked into the Olympics...

cmacc said...

i know! me too! Its something about the whole world coming together to do something.

And yes, BC is one of the most beautiful. But so is Manitoba. Only you'd need a pretty great commercial to convince half the population. So its nice to have a fabulous commercial to tell the world how we feel. :)