June 16, 2009

That Which You Do Not Have

Do you ever realize that the thing you want most is the thing you don't have? Perfect example. Those of you who know me know I do not enjoy hot weather. I know this makes me somewhat of an oddity, what with my affection for fleeces and cold evenings by the campfire. Thus, we chose this particular apartment block for its central air. Well. It has been 2 days of plus 28 and mommy is set to expire. I have had all windows wide open and have given thanks to the weather gods for producing a breeze. However, the central air? Someone needed to get that beyotch kicked in to high gear.
We called maintenance, we emailed the office, we called maintenance and pretended that it must have been our thermostat not working because surely anyone in their right mind would have the air conditioning on in temperatures more suited for the Costa Rican jungle.
Finally, this afternoon, after a lovely reply from the main office saying they were "working on turning it on", the vents sprung to life and coolness enveloped us like a warm blanket. Or something like that but opposite.
And yet, as I walked about the apartment closing the windows in each room, I mourned the loss of a summer evening breeze, said a sad farewell to an early morning gust, and was kind of maybe a little bummed at the thought of shut windows for the rest of the summer.
Oh who am I kidding. Bring on the AC baby!

2 comments:

Princess of the Universe said...

I think whomever it was that invented Central Air should have a day named after them, or a statue or be king/queen of the world or something.
Best. Invention. Ever.

Anonymous said...

At least you HAVE A/C! LOL

Any reason you can't shut off the system and open the windows in the evening? That's what we always did growing up...