January 18, 2010

IT Guy

So heres the thing. Our IT guys at work are pretty good. Not stellar, and not always readily available. But pretty good. Generally I think they put up with a lot, and I mean a LOT, of bullshit from morons like me who call them in a tizzy wondering why I don't even get a light on my computer and it just won't "go". I generally FEEL like I've tried EVERYTHING before I call them and inevitably its the most elementary, Windows-for-Dummies kind of thing that fixes the problem. I'm usually left with a feeling of "Duh!" when I get off the phone and a mental note to try more things before calling them next time.

Downside is, people (myself included because sometimes you just never know) will call on them for absolutely anything that has to do with the computer. Have a question about Power Point? Call them. Need to move a formula in excel? Call them. Word layout keeps moving when you hit enter? Call IT. And every time its the same thing. "I don't know much about Power Point/Publisher/Visio etc etc etc. I can INSTALL it for you, but I don't use it so I don't know." Which, when you've taken a moment to think about it, makes sense. Why, if they don't ever have to use any of these programs, would they go out of their way to learn them for us morons who muck about in them and bugger it all up, thus requiring the rescue. I get that now. I no longer ask.

It bugs me when I hear people get huffy about that.

Anywho. I have spent the weekend bothering our IT guy about this and that and bit torrents and music downloads and ethernet cables and xbox updates. They gave me a new blackberry and now I am connected to them all the time. Poor guys. Though its kind of ironic. Teach me how to communicate and voila, I'm pestering you through messenger, communicator, email AND text. Good job guys!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As far as I can tell, people think that if you work in computers, you know EVERYTHING about computers, and are responsible for everything about them. It's the equivalent of expecting the road division to fill your tank with gas and remember to change the oil, but that's the way it is.

In fact, I'm often greeted with annoyance when another company's website goes down. After all, it's on the computer, so why can't I fix it? LOL

cmacc said...

I hear everyone get all pissy when someting doesn't work, so I do my best to make sure I keep my whining in check. :)