March 10, 2010

With No Degree of Certainty, Maybe

So today I had just about all I could take of trying to figure out a wee little two thousand dollar step in my budget misery and finally, after exhausting all avenues that I knew of, I went to go see Finance.

Finance is a funny gal. Very proper. Very focused. Not a great sense of humor but a nice personality. Heres the thing about Finance, or what I figured Finance to be. It likes an answer. It likes an answer that makes sense. It likes an answer that has a trail that can lead them back to the beginning of the question and its uniform and concise and has a definite conclusion that MAKES SENSE. My idea of Finance is that they need things to make sense.

So I took my issue to Finance. I was pretty certain I knew what I needed to know. I was pretty certain that I explained myself in a manner that made sense to Finance. So we looked here. We looked there. Finance pulled up screens that showed this and screens that showed that. But nothing that showed the dollar amount I was looking for. We found a dollar amount that was close. Close. Not the same. But close. And Finance figured that must have been it. I made her dig around and even though it clearly showed that the dollars she found went to someone, she said "chances are" that it was "probably" it. That she's "guessing" that thats the money that I'm looking for. And that I could "probably" code it there.

What?

What happened to Finance being precise and correct and not being comfortable with maybe's and probably's and since when is guessing good enough??? I kept digging, finding myself dissatisfied with the maybe's and probably's and figured out where it was. And I let Finance know. And she was cool with that. Probably.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's just weird. In my office, they obsess over every penny!

cmacc said...

They usually do here too! I think she was just busy and I was just a pain in the butt that she didn't realllllly want to deal with. :) Which is SOOOOO unlike me.